There are steps you can take to reduce mosquito populations without using insecticides. Here are some tips to consider when trying to avoid mosquito bites:
- Empty water from containers such as flower pots, birdbaths, pet water dishes, cans, gutters, tires and buckets regularly to disrupt the mosquito breeding cycle.
- Keep windows and door screens in good working order to prevent mosquitoes from entering your home.
- If possible, wear long-sleeved shirts and long pants while outdoors, consider staying indoors early in the morning and evening when mosquitoes are most active.
- Maintain your swimming pool to prevent mosquito breeding, and report abandoned pools to your local health department.
- Use mosquito netting over infants carriers when infants are outdoors.
- Consider using an insect repellent, be sure to follow the label directions for applying the repellent. For help selecting a mosquito repellent, try our Insect Repellent Locator.
Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is one of the effective essential oils to get rid of mosquitoes. The anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties work wonders when it comes to fighting off the mosquitoes. The strong odor of the tea tree oil keeps the mosquitoes at bay. All you need to do is mix a few drops of tea tree oil with a few drops of water and apply this mixture on your face and other exposed parts of your body.
Red Cedar Mulch
Red cedar mulch not only makes the garden or the yard beautiful, but is also effectively keeps the mosquitoes away. Boil red cedar chips in water. Next, put this liquid in the garden sprayer that you use for your garden and sprinkle it everywhere. This will hold mosquitoes off your home.
You can buy a mosquito trap from market or can easily make it at home. For preparing homemade mosquito trap, you need a plastic bottle. Cut this bottle in half. Add brown sugar in hot water and mix well. When it cools down, empty it in the bottom half of the bottle. Now, add yeast. Put the funnel part into the other half of the bottle in upside down direction. Wrap a black tape on the bottle, but the top should be uncovered. Place it in the mosquito prone area. Change the solution of the bottle after every 2 weeks.